Skip to content
Shop Products - 2024-05-14T120154.015.jpg

Find the PERFECT GIFT for Dad!

Beer gift ideas for that special person this Father's Day

Shop Now

Ready to explore the different ways to run a pub business and how to choose the right one for you?

You typically have five options:

  1. A tenancy
  2. A leasehold
  3. A freehold
  4. A managed partnership
  5. Pub manager

What’s the difference, I hear you ask?

In a nutshell, a tenancy is where you tend to rent for a shorter term, typically 3-5 years from a pub company/brewery and work in partnership. A lease is generally a longer-term commercial arrangement, usually 10 – 25 years where the owner or landlord is less accessible, and a freehold is where you buy and own the building and the business, giving you more freedom and responsibility, for example, building repair and maintenance. A managed partnership is a stepping stone to a tenancy, where the brewery/pub owner holds a lot more of the risk, offers increased support and then instead of your income being linked to the turnover you create, you get paid a salary. You get help and support until you feel confident with the business to take it on as your own tenancy. If you want the security of a regular salary, a Pub Manager position may be a better option, however, you will lose the freedom to do as you wish with the building and the business offer.

What’s best for you?

There’s no right or wrong way. There are many successful examples for each route above. The best way for you will come down to your experience, what you can afford, how much support you think you’ll need and what’s available in the area you want to operate in.

It’s best to chat to a few different pub companies about what they offer and as you have these conversations it will help you to understand which route would better suit you.

Here at Everards we offer a tenancy agreement. Want to find out more? Our friendly team would love to chat, give us a call on 0116 201 4260 or send us a message.