Skip to content
Shop Products - 2024-05-14T120154.015.jpg

Find the PERFECT GIFT for Dad!

Beer gift ideas for that special person this Father's Day

Shop Now

Running a pub is often a complete career change and many people ask what qualifications are needed to embrace the dream of running their own pub and being their own boss.

You’ll be pleased to hear that the only formal qualifications you need are PEAT (pre-entry awareness training) and your accredited personal license.

Personal License:

It doesn’t take long to acquire this qualification, a few hours online or a day if you choose to attend a face-to-face course. We work closely with the BII (British Institute of Innkeeping) and offer our courses through their providers which cost £150.

There is an online course with an exam at the end. You can also opt to attend a face-to-face 1-day course. The course will provide a clear understanding of the framework of the law and regulation that underpins the responsibilities of the personal license holder. This will include the following and more:

  • Licensing objectives
  • Police powers and rights of entry
  • Legal and social responsibilities of the personal license holder
  • Illegal drugs, the effects of alcohol, and disorderly conduct
  • Protection of children

All you need to complete the course is a quiet area where you won’t be interrupted, a computer with reliable Wi-Fi, and a webcam along with your ID.

You can complete this course at any stage before you take on your own pub, you just need to have it in place before you can open the doors and serve customers.


The Pre-Entry Awareness Training (PEAT) e-learning course has been designed for prospective tenants/lessees who are considering signing a pub tenancy or lease agreement in England and Wales. It will allow individuals to identify the main issues that need to be considered and investigated before signing a pub tenancy or lease agreement.

Completing this course will help you to prepare for your interview and subsequent meetings with your chosen pub company. It will help you identify both the questions you need to ask and the professional advice you need to seek to enable you to make informed commercial decisions. It will also cover the information a pub company needs to give you.

Upon successful completion of the training, you will be able to print a certificate as evidence of passing this course.

PEAT takes about 90 minutes – 120 minutes to complete online and has 8 modules, which include:

  1. The Pub Industry
  2. Types of Agreements
  3. The Tie
  4. The Premises & Repairs/Maintenance
  5. Rent
  6. Business Planning
  7. Pub Company Support
  8. What's next?

The PEAT course costs £120 through the BII and If you are considering entering into a pub lease or tenancy agreement, taking PEAT will give you the knowledge you need to evaluate the agreement you are considering.

We make sure to run through every new business owner's experience and will always help fill gaps where we can as part of working with Everards, such as cellar training and IT skills. We are confident that we can help to upskill where needed, but your passion, personality, and dedication to hospitality - well that can't be taught

If you have all of this and are ready to take the next step, then please get in touch and have a chat with the team on 0116 201 4260 or drop us a message at